English Literature and Composition
English 101 and English 102 for college audit
About Samantha Gebel
I have a BA in English with a minor in Philosophy, and an MA in Literature with emphases of: Shakespeare, Gothic, and Fairytales. Some of my favorite stories include Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray, Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, Shakespeare’s Othello, and J.D. Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye. I love character-oriented stories that allow a reader to relate to someone and see the world through their eyes. I also believe our writing improves through reading in that our own character is revealed through our tone and rhetoric.
B.A. English – Northern Arizona University
2016-Present: Foothills Academy College Prep English Teacher
Present: Paradise Valley Community College
Arizona State University
Estrella Mountain Community College
Northern Arizona University
ASU Online Bootcamp
The best thing about teaching: Watching students grow and learn before my eyes. When I teach something and then see students get that “light bulb” and I just know that they understand, but what’s more, they realize they understand. It’s all uphill from there.
Some of my favorite things:
- Color: Green. Not that lime green, but a forest green
- Food: My mother’s stuffed peppers
- Book:Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray, because I love the idea that man is his own worst enemy. I also just love Oscar Wilde and you’ll find I quote him all the time!
- Subject: English, of course.
- Hobby: I love to write anything. I am working on writing several novels and short stories that I hope to get published. I also write movie and book reviews on a blog.
- Sports Team: Chicago Cubs, Pittsburgh Penguins, and I like watching swimming and volleyball too.
If I wasn’t a teacher, I would be: Working in publishing, or just writing all the time.
Why did you choose to become a teacher?
I wanted to help. Though I loved school, my years in school were difficult due to personal trials and tribulations. It was the advice and encouragement of certain teachers that helped keep me on the right path. Therefore, I wanted to be able to help other students who are struggling in school, or who are in school and struggling with life. Being an English teacher seemed like the perfect way to pay homage to my English teachers who helped me.
I have presented papers at the Utah Shakespeare Festival, 18th and 19th Century British Women Writers Conference, and NAU’s Peaks Interdisciplinary Conference.