5th & 6th
Math & Science
About Jamie Mishel
Immediately upon receiving my Masters in Education, I spent the next four years teaching gifted education, focusing on the humanities, in Northbrook, Illinois. During the summers in Chicago I was was able to combine my love for teaching and my Journalism degree as a staff member with the Center for Talent Development through Northwestern University, where I taught a three-week Advertising course to resident students from around the world. I left Chicago winters in 2001 to raise my family in the sunshine of Arizona. We settled in Cave Creek, where my son is currently a junior in high school. My daughter is entering her junior year at the Arizona State University and is studying Environmental Engineering.
Bachelor of Science Journalism- University of Kansas
Master of Arts Teaching- National Louis University
Arizona Department of Education Standard Elementary Certificate 1-8
2016-Present: Foothills Academy Elementary Teacher
2012-2016: Arizona Conservatory for Arts & Academics 4th Grade Math & Science Teacher
2008-2012: Milestones Charter School 4th Grade Teacher
2007: Campfire USA Tutor at-risk high school students
- 2009: “Teacher of the Month” Rio Salado/KEZ’s Excellence in Education
- 2009: Established Girl Power, a voluntary program for 4th grade girls that helped them to foster the confidence and skills necessary to successfully navigate adolescence.
- 2010-2014: Taught children’s yoga in an after-school program
- 2014: Participated in AzMERIT Content and Bias Meeting
- 2014: Developed a program to support students’ families in better understanding the Common Core Standards in Math through a series of family workshops
- 2015: Co-taught a STEM Workshop in an after-school program
The best thing about teaching: I became a teacher because I genuinely love the process of teaching children. There is nothing better than that moment when a student realizes, “I GET IT!”
Some of my favorite things:
- Colors: Orange and Brown
- Food: Sushi
- Book: Alice In Wonderland and Winnie the Pooh
- Subject: Writing
- Hobby: Mountain biking, yoga and reading
- Sports Team: To watch: basketball and The Bulls, unless my son is on a team and then they’re definitely my fav
If I wasn’t a teacher, I would be: playing in the mountains by day and writing children’s literature when it’s too hot out.
Why did you choose to become a teacher?
I became a teacher because I genuinely love the process of teaching children. There is nothing better than that moment when a student realizes, “I GET IT!”